First time playing on grass?
What to Do...
- Sign-up early! The first 50 players that get registered get a super cool t-shirt or tank top for FREE!
- Check-in on time! All players must check-in to sign waiver form and pay registration fees. Check-in is between 7:45am-8:30am. Players that check-in after 8:30am will be charged a $5 late fee. Players under the age of 18 must have a parent sign their waiver form.
- Game warm-ups: Teams are given time to prepare for their first match on their side of the court. That time can be used for stretching or pepper. Each team then has the opportunity to warm-up hitting. One team hits while the other shags, then teams switch. If your team chooses not to hit your team should still shag for the other team if they are hitting. Warm-ups should not exceed 10 minutes for a team's first match, and no more than 5 minutes for all ensuing matches.
- All teams will have to officiate once or twice during pool play and perhaps again during playoffs. While officiating, your team is expected to keep score and help enforce game rules. See our Grass Volleyball Rules page to become familiar with all our rules, and if there is a need to clarify a rule please see an FGVA staff member at the Tournament Table.
What to Wear...
- Shoes - Shoes are optional, some players prefer to wear shoes and some prefer to play barefoot.
- Kneepads - Not needed on the grass courts...unless you have super sensitive knees, then go ahead and wear them (expect a crazy kneepad tan though!)
- Clothing - Wear clothes that are appropriate for athletic activity and comfortable to play in our Fresno heat
- Sun Friendly Accessories - Playing under the bright sun can be challenging, and sunglasses/hats can definitely help!
What to Bring...
- Shade - Staying out of the sun between games can make a huge difference in your ability to finish a tournament strong. We may have some canopies for community use but we only have a few so bring one if you have one. Beach umbrellas are also handy to keep cool while you have to officiate games. Use sunscreen, and don't forget to reapply throughout the day!
- Chairs - Beach chairs or blankets to sit on are a good idea for staying comfortable under your shade!
- Food/Refreshments - We will have a hydration table with water and ice, but we recommend that you bring a cooler with lots of liquids and snacks to get you through the day.
- Volleyballs - Outdoor volleyballs have a different weight and feel compared to indoor volleyballs. The Wilson AVP Official Game Ball is the preferred outdoor ball of the FGVA. If you'd like to buy one, Dick's Sporting Goods has them for $64.99 or you can find them on Amazon for around $44. Many players bring their own outdoor balls to warm-up with, however if you (or your partner) don't have a ball, we do have some volleyballs that everyone can share for warm-ups and game play. If you borrow a ball, please be sure to return it to where or who you borrowed it from.